You know that feeling you get when someone is watching over your shoulder? Or, you say you can sink a basket from the free-throw line? No pressure, right? Oh the deadline is Friday? For all of the discomfort it brings, pressure also can bring out the best in us. I’ve found the best way to motivate myself is to set a deadline. Even better is to tell someone about my deadline. If I can line up my goal with this type of pressure, I will almost always complete the task.
Here are my steps,
- I have a thought or an idea.
- I write it out either in Google Drive or in a personal notebook.
- I decide what effort is needed, money or time.
- I let it percolate inside of me for however long it’s necessary.
- When the idea has built enough inside of me I usually get follow up ideas and at that moment I can plunge into the project.
- I find tweeting my progress helps
It’s easy for me to get lost in researching my ideas so, I try as best as I can to write everything out from the top of my head. Ad Lib if you will. Afterwards since the idea is written out I can edit as needed and add more details.
It took me a while to get comfortable with announcing my plans. Stating aloud “I’m writing a novel,” can lead to all types of feedback. Some think you’re bragging, but you’re not. Mostly I avoided it because seemed like too much pressure. It created that mind numbing turmoil in my head. Now if I don’t finish I am shamed. No one wants to look like a braggart or a fool, but people really have short memories. And they have their own lives to live. A week from now, their troubles will make them forget about the silly thing you stated. And when you actually finish the novel, run the marathon, or lose the weight, you feel the satisfaction. Isn’t that what you wanted?
Run for yourself, not anyone else. – runner’s world
- JDMoyer How To Calibrate Goals..
- EricBarker How To Go From Dreaming To Doing
I enjoy your blog and wanted to let you know I have nominated you for the ‘One Lovely Blog Award’. There is no obligation on your part, but I would be happy if you accept it. Here is the link to my post with rules of this award: http://bit.ly/Zol9ar. Thanks for your inspiration and for having a “lovely” blog.
Thanks. I appreciate that.