What would you do if there was no one watching? If there was no one to approve or disapprove? Would you dance? Would you draw? Laugh at stupid things? Spin in circles? I think I would run. I also miss hiking. I haven’t been in a few years. I enjoyed the trails. I would do that even if someone was watching. We pretend we don’t care what people think and maybe that’s true. I may not care, but I don’t like being stared at. And doing anything outlandish makes them stare. So I won’t run naked down the street.
Shame keeps us in hiding. What are you ashamed of? Cracked feet? Mold in your shower? Thoughts that keep you awake at night? The funny thing is that we all have these things. I’ve never been great at cleaning windows. Like most of us, it’s the least important item on my list. Sometimes not even making the list.
I had a house that I never once cleaned the windows. Friends came by and never noticed that the windows weren’t clean. The carpet was pretty, the kitchen was updated, and the walls were newly painted. They praised my upkeep. And I kept silent. Later we left that house, rented it to some folks who didn’t keep it clean. Complicated story but, the friends from before wanted to buy the house. They had fallen in love with it. It was in a nice location and it was a perfect size for them. Later after they moved in, they remarked how the renters had let the place go downhill. Even the windows were yucky. They must have never cleaned them, according to my friend. It took a bit of effort on my part to stay silent.
It feels so good to have a loved one come and say, it’s okay. That ugly thought you have is normal. The hateful feelings are normal. The embarrassment you have is normal. It’s all okay. We all have shame. We all have embarrassing things like dirty windows that we cover up. Some of us just cover a bit better than others. My advice, for what it’s worth, show off what you’re good at. Don’t worry about all the other stuff.
- We are who we are (poetrysetsyoufree.wordpress.com)
- Holiday Streak 2013 (markallenwhite.wordpress.com)
- Living in a Construction Zone (ourrenovationblog.com)
- The Start (alivingparody.com)
- Streak-free Windows (rosieposieadventures.wordpress.com)
- Shame, a Toxic Foundation (therapyplace.wordpress.com)
- So sorry (ginnykim.com)
- Emotional Armour (theinvisibleprincess.com)
- These 20 Cats Were Busted In the Act. Now They’re Being Hilariously And Adorably Shamed. (viralnova.com)
- Day of Shame: Michigan Wolf Slaughter Commences (huffingtonpost.com)